Which sleep test to have analyzed

Home Forums Dental Sleep Medicine and Bruxism Therapy Which sleep test to have analyzed

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eric 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Eric
    Participant

56 yr old female with cc of headaches and poor sleep about a month ago.
    I made her a snore appliance (Glidewell Dream Tap) which helped with her headaches
    Shortly thereafter, I purchased the Statdds sleep monitor. Out of curiosity of effectiveness of the oral appliance, I had the patient take the monitor home 2 nights in a row. First night we tested without the Dream Tap, second night was with the Dream tap. Results are as follows:

Without Dream Tap
    BEI 12.6
    AHI 12.2
    ODI 19.2
    Snore Index 59.4%

With Dream Tap
    BEI 7.8
    AHI 9.6
    ODI 11.7
    Snore Index 27.2%

So it’s encouraging to see some improvement with the appliance.
    I would like to send in one of the sleep tests for hand grading as I think she could benefit further with a CPAP that could be prescribed by her physician.
    My question is, which test should I send in for analysis? The baseline results without the Dreamtap or the results with the Dream tap?

Thanks to anyone who can offer suggestions.

Eric

Suzanne

Eric~

Her baseline indicates she has Mild OSA (5-15). The American Academy of Sleep Medicine allows patients with Mild and Moderate OSA to be treated with an Oral Sleep Appliance. The CPAP is the Gold Standard for severe… If the patient is severe and can not tolerate the CPAP, then the patient can be treated with an Oral Sleep Appliance.

Having a baseline is important when treating patients, then doing a follow up at the fourth month appointment so you can confirm efficiency of the appliance. She has improved greatly- Why would you want to put her on a CPAP now?

The dream Tap is a fantastic appliance because it allows 15mm of movement. You need to adjust the appliance and you can more than likely improve the results. You may need to pull her forward and /or adjust her VDO. Have you educated the patient on how to adjust her appliance with the key??

Look forward to hearing from you.

Suzanne

Eric~

Her baseline indicates she has Mild OSA (5-15). The American Academy of Sleep Medicine allows patients with Mild and Moderate OSA to be treated with an Oral Sleep Appliance. The CPAP is the Gold Standard for severe… If the patient is severe and can not tolerate the CPAP, then the patient can be treated with an Oral Sleep Appliance.

Having a baseline is important when treating patients, then doing a follow up at the fourth month appointment so you can confirm efficiency of the appliance. She has improved greatly- Why would you want to put her on a CPAP now?

The dream Tap is a fantastic appliance because it allows 15mm of movement. You need to adjust the appliance and you can more than likely improve the results. You may need to pull her forward and /or adjust her VDO. Have you educated the patient on how to adjust her appliance with the key??

Look forward to hearing from you.

Eric
    Participant

Thank you for your response and insight. No point in putting her in a CPAP now. What you said makes sense. I called patient this afternoon and spoke to her about how we’ve had improvement and that we can adjust the appliance and test in a few months. She knows how to adjust the appliance. It’s been great seeing how the statdds sleep monitor provides data that shows the effectiveness of these appliances. Patient is very grateful and is feeling much better than ever before. Thanks again.

Eric

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.